The Wild Wild West

The Wild Wild West

I was in Arizona over the long weekend or extra long weekend in my case. I took a half day Thursday, May 26th and got back late on the 1st (HOW IS IT JUNE ALREADY?!)

Anyway, my trip was quite the adventure (understatement of the year)! It started off great, Trina picked me up at the Phoenix airport (some tears may have been shed) and then we went to dinner with her aunt, uncle, and cousins. We had some wine and then relaxed at their gorgeous home with plans to drive up to Flagstaff (where Trina was living) on Friday. Since it’s only a 2 hour drive we took our time the next day and got Panera for lunch (I LOVE PANERA!) before making the 144 miles or so up the I17 well….

Her truck was not having it. The radiator was shot so basically every hour was about 1/4 driving 3/4 allowing the truck to cool and refilling the radiator with water. But we did eventually make it to Flagstaff, 7 hours later…

We were exhausted by the time we made it home and ordered some Jimmy John’s for dinner (I ALSO LOVE JJs!). No truck = stranded so we replaced our Saturday plans with packing up her apartment and begging, Camille to be our chauffeur (we love you Camille!). All three of us had dinner at Pato Thai in Flagstaff. The food was AMAZING! Definitely, recommend it if you’re ever in Flagstaff or passing through (great pick, Camille). Then of course, we had after dinner Cold Stone.


Sunday, we woke up early to finish packing and clean while Trina’s uncle and mechanic friend made the trek up from Phoenix to our rescue. He replaced the radiator and the truck seemed fine so off we went. We made it about 33 miles outside of Flagstaff (just past mile marker 309 on the I17 if you really want to know exactly where) before the truck said fuck you and died. That’s right, died. It didn’t overheat but something went out in the engine. No accelerator, no power brakes, no power steering all on the mountainous middle of nowhere I17. Fortunately, Trina is a pro at driving (and cars breaking down) so we pulled over smoothly while I called Camille and told her to turn around (she was also driving stuff to move to Phoenix). I gotta give Trina and I cred for reacting calmly externally while the voices in our head were screaming “YOU’RE GOING TO DIE!” Thanks to the mechanic’s wife who was along with Trina’s uncle and the mechanic, they were behind us because they just had to stop at some shops. So they pulled over and came to our rescue AGAIN. Trina and Camille were calling tow trucks while we unloaded Trina’s truck (which was very, very full) to the mechanic’s truck. Unfortunately, due to the holiday weekend and the fact we were kind of in the middle of nowhere we had to wait 2 hours for the tow truck driver. We sent everyone on their way while Trina and I enjoyed some quality time together with a bottle of wine on the side of I17. It was actually a lot of fun and the stars were beautiful and peeing on the side of the road is really liberating. Also the wine dulled our sense of impending death when the hazards went out because the truck battery died. Don’t worry, we used the flashlight on my phone and waved it around which seemed to do well enough since cars moved over to the left lane. We had the truck towed ~30 miles to a lot by the casino and her uncle picked us up there. I think we left Flagstaff at about 6pm and we finally got to Phoenix by 2am.

The rest really isn’t that exciting but there are amazing photos. Monday, we spent all day by her uncle’s pool drinking rocket fuel (Mike’s hard lemonade + flavored vodka) followed by eating too many ribs, potato and macaroni salads. Tuesday, Trina, Camille, and I made the long trek back up I17 through Flagstaff to Page, AZ to see Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend.

Antelope Canyon | Candid Cerebrations

PANO_20160531_163834IMG_20160531_164545 IMG_20160531_170823 IMG_20160531_170912 (1)

Then Wednesday I caught an early flight back to NYC where I’m very thankful for public transportation.

What is your craziest vacation story?


Leave your message